Static ORDER BY Clause

From: Jeff <janderson_at_iname.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:40:45 -0700

For performance reasons we are trying to rewrite all of our packages to use bind variables so that all of our queries are static. We have been able to do this everywhere except in the ORDER BY clause. According to Oracle Support we cannot use a bind variable in the ORDER BY clause. The application we are developing allows the user to select up to 2 columns out of 150 to sort by so we need to be able to change the columns used in the ORDER BY clause. Does anyone have any ideas on how we can allow our users to request different sort columns and still create a static query?

Thanks,
Jeff Received on Thu Aug 19 1999 - 02:40:45 CDT