Re: Oracle WITHOUT client s/w.....How? (ADO ???)

From: <mkx_at_excite.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:09:05 GMT

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:35:53 GMT, krachyn_at_cadvision.com (Ken Rachynski) wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 21:33:30 GMT, Deja User <dejacom_at_my-deja.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know how to access Oracle from a remote machine without
>>having to have the Oracle Client software on the client machine? Is ADO
>>the answer?
>>
>>Thanks and Regards,
>>Phil
>>

>>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>>Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
>
>From what I understand, even the ODBC driver requires the Oracle
>client software installed. I believe that even ADO uses ODBC for
>foreign (non-Microsoft) system access.
>
>Ken

I believe that MS has a native OLE DB provider for Oracle, as well as their own database. However, regardless of what method an application uses (ODBC, OLE DB, ADO, etc.) the Oracle client software must be installed. The application talks to the client DB interface (ADO in this case), ADO talks to the Oracle network client on the workstation, and the Oracle client talks to the Oracle server. Received on Thu Aug 19 1999 - 12:09:05 CDT