Re: Oracle WITHOUT client s/w.....How? (ADO ???)

From: Mike Mattix <dmmattix_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:25:47 -0500

In article <37bc31cc.11789598_at_news.cadvision.com>, krachyn_at_cadvision.com says...
> On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 21:33:30 GMT, Deja User <dejacom_at_my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know how to access Oracle from a remote machine without
> >having to have the Oracle Client software on the client machine? Is ADO
> >the answer?
> >
> >Thanks and Regards,
> >Phil
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
>
> From what I understand, even the ODBC driver requires the Oracle
> client software installed. I believe that even ADO uses ODBC for
> foreign (non-Microsoft) system access.
>
> Ken

Actually Microsoft created their own OLE DB Provider for Oracle but it still uses the SQL*Net of Version 7.3 or better (Version 2 of SQL*Net). You can use ODBC to access Oracle via ADO but I have had better luck with the MS drivers.

Mike Mattix
dmmattix_at_earthlink.net Received on Thu Aug 19 1999 - 22:25:47 CDT