Re: Can a perl script be run from a PL/SQL package?

From: Adrian Bowen <adrian_at_raptor.win-uk.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 18:24:56 +0100

I had a similar situation with a web application that used a large number of TCL scripts - what I did was install a TCL interpreter as an Oracle External Procedure. This works like a dream, since as far as I can determine anything that can be performed in a TCL script (file manipulation, socket I/O, etc) can be invoked as a function call directly from PL/SQL. In fact I've now put the scripts themselves into the DB for tidiness.

I would assume you can probably do the same with a Perl interpreter. Setting up the external procedure is a bit of a pain, but its fairly well documented in the Oracle manuals. There may also be some issues with multi-threading, however at present these aren't causing a problem in my application.

Adrian Bowen Received on Mon Aug 16 1999 - 12:24:56 CDT