Oracle licensing - a complete rip-off?

From: <Steve_at_back2front.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 19:02:13 GMT

So then as I understand it, there's an Enterprise License, a WorkGroup License and a Runtime license.

My client has an enterprise version of Oracle (7.2) running under Unix. I have written a Visual Basic application (SYS1) which accesses the oracle database via oracle-objects. It's a two tier app, so when a user runs SYS1 a single connection to Oracle is established until the User closes the app. The User (via SYS1) can select, insert, update and delete data. They have no access to (or interest in) the database structure. They have no need for SQLPlus or any of the other associated Oracle tools.

If 10 client workstations access oracle via SYS1, 10 licenses are required. Fine.
If 100 client workstations access the database via SYS1, we need 100 licenses. Ok.

Well...not so ok. If you are obliged to purchase 100 Enterprise licenses at an approx cost of £1000 each because you are using an Enterprise Server!!!

Why??? They do not require all the features of an Enterprise license - simply a connection that allows a User to select, insert, update and delete. Would not a Runtime license suffice?

Surely there is a cheaper solution to this - apart from moving to SQL Server ;)

Regards,
Steve Roberts
Steve Roberts

EMAIL : steve_at_back2front.demon.co.uk