Re: Trouble with large export on Solaris

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:01:10 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Joe Condle <condle_at_mars-systems.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 07:30:01 -0400, you wrote:

>We are running Oracle 8.0.5 on Solaris 2.51. We have run into the 2 Gig
>file limit on Solaris when exporting a very large table during our
>weekly backup. We can solve the problem by going to Solaris 7 whenever
>the RAID software we are using becomes compatible with Solaris 7. Until
>then is there any kind of work around for this problem? I do not know
>how long it is going to be before we can upgraged to the new OS and
>meanwhile I do not have a backup for this table.

export to a named pipe. That way, you can have another process reading this pipe and either compressing or splitting the output apart (or both).

Here is an export script I use on solaris to do this. it does a full export to a named pipe. that output gets compress with gzip. that output gets split into 500meg files.

It also shows how to put humpty dumpty back together again for an imp (imp show=y is something i use to test that the export worked OK)

#!/bin/csh -vx

setenv UID sys/abc
setenv FN exp.`date +%j_%Y`.dmp
setenv PIPE /tmp/exp_tmp.dmp

setenv MAXSIZE 500m
setenv EXPORT_WHAT full=y

echo $FN

cd /nfs/atc-netapp1/expbkup
ls -l

rm expbkup.log export.test exp.*.dmp* $PIPE mknod $PIPE p

date > expbkup.log
( gzip < $PIPE ) | split -b $MAXSIZE - $FN. & exp userid=$UID buffer=20000000 file=$PIPE $EXPORT_WHAT >>& expbkup.log date >> expbkup.log

date > export.test
cat `echo $FN.* | sort` | gunzip > $PIPE & imp userid=sys/o8isgr8 file=$PIPE show=y full=y >>& export.test date >> export.test

tail expbkup.log
tail export.test

ls -l
rm -f $PIPE

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Aug 10 1999 - 08:01:10 CDT