Re: Database creation

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 19:55:38 +0200

Hi Olivier

A few remarks

Why can't the database be located in only one file? Oracle is a professional client/server product, it is focused at serving hundreds of users, for mission critical applications etc. Ultimately that single file would develop in a single point of failure. Oracle is NOT a toy, like several ms database products. You need to have control files (to administer the physical structure and transaction administration), online redo log files (to be able to roll forward after a crash) and datafiles (to distribute IO). These are all features Access will never have, and SQL server probably in ten years time.

The only way to build a database with 'a file from somewhere else', is getting a valid Oracle export.
You will still need to create a database before you start importing.

You are referring to a control file in the sense of SQL*Loader : that is product that can load individual tables from ascii files

What you need to do, is read an Oracle manual, especially the 'Getting started' guide.
It is the only way to get acquainted with it, you can't expect newsgroups to answer all your questions.
A newsgroup is to help people out only, not to replace manuals and courses.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA