Re: Oracle SQL engine?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 18:07:16 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Norris <johnnie_at_cooper.com.hk> (if that email address didn't require changing) On 3 Aug 1999 17:03:23 GMT, you wrote:

>Is the following a standard syntax? I found most databases can support it.
>
>select *from TABLExxx
> ^^^^^

SQL> select*from dual;

-

yes it is. Just like "select a,b from t" is (as opposed to "select a , b from t". You don't need spaces between certain elements in SQL (like parans and such).

it looks wierd but just pretend that * is like a comma and it makes sense....

>Peter Marksteiner <pm_at_univie.ac.at> wrote:
>: Norris <johnnie_at_cooper.com.hk> wrote:
>: : Can anybody tell me the differences between the following two SQL?
>
>: : select a.* , dummy from dual a
>: : select * , dummy from dual a
>
>: According to the syntax diagram of the SELECT statement (page 4-489
>: in the Oracle 8 SQL reference manual), "table.*" may occur as part of a
>: comma-separated list, a lone "*" may occur only as "SELECT * FROM ...".
>: Therefore the first statement is correct, the second isn't.
>
>: --
>: Peter Marksteiner
>: Vienna University Computer Center

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Aug 03 1999 - 13:07:16 CDT