Re: Oracle SQL engine?

From: Norris <johnnie_at_cooper.com.hk>
Date: 3 Aug 1999 17:03:23 GMT

Is the following a standard syntax? I found most databases can support it.

select *from TABLExxx
       ^^^^^

Peter Marksteiner <pm_at_univie.ac.at> wrote:
: Norris <johnnie_at_cooper.com.hk> wrote:
: : Can anybody tell me the differences between the following two SQL?

: : select a.* , dummy from dual a
: : select * , dummy from dual a

: According to the syntax diagram of the SELECT statement (page 4-489
: in the Oracle 8 SQL reference manual), "table.*" may occur as part of a
: comma-separated list, a lone "*" may occur only as "SELECT * FROM ...".
: Therefore the first statement is correct, the second isn't.

: --
: Peter Marksteiner
: Vienna University Computer Center

--