Re: Does anyone have serious databases on NT?

From: Richard Scranton <scrantr_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 21:56:59 -0400

Preface my remarks with the understanding that I am a consultant, so I am frequently brought into a project or situation after something bad has happened or something good is expected to happen and hasn't yet.

When I read about "Total cost of ownership" regarding NT vs other platforms, I never see anyone try to take into account the hidden cost of NT. When it falls over, what does it cost your business or your client in terms of being deprived the use of their data. For example, if your database drives a customer relationship package like Vantive or Siebel, you cannot take support calls with any real effectiveness if the system is down.

NT will not be taken seriously as an enterprise tool while BSOD jokes still have currency. If the "suits" push it under some mistaken idea that it will save money, the techies who might possibly make it work will leave rather than deal with the frustration.

NT is only "cheaper" if your resource on it is non-critical to your business. Enterprise-level stability and security is not Microsoft's primary concern, and it shows in the products they produce.

I'm glad that you have had reasonably good results with NT deployments. I gently discourage my clients from using NT for server applications, but frequently that decision has been made before I am part of a project. I *will* say that I make a significant part of my income assisting them during difficult crash recoveries, or recovery of unfortunate actions that some employee has performed because "NT is easier to use" than Unix.

The employment is good, but I would rather build new things than constantly clean up messes caused by shoddy, bug-laden software from Redmond.

--

You can have it fast, good, and cheap. Pick any two.