Re: Does anyone have serious databases on NT?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:35:17 -0400

reply emailed and posted

The last figures I saw showed Oracle with 46% of the NT RDBMS market and SQL Server with 27%. On Unix it was Oracle 56% with the rest split pretty much evenly among IBM, Informix, and others.

I suspect that the bulk of the enterprise business will continue going to Unix and AS/400. After all when it's your staying in business that's on the line you have to look at proven reliability. NT does not have a good reputation when it comes to reliability most organizations don't want to take a chance and find out first hand if NT is getting a bad wrap.

regards
Jerry Gitomer

mkx_at_excite.com wrote in message
<37a18698.4811097_at_news.supernews.com>...
|After reading many, many articles, press releases, and marketing
|propaganda about the fight for the dominant position on NT, I
seem to
|see something missing: Any direct evidence that anyone is using
the
|major databases on NT (other than Microsoft's SQL Server). Most
|serious (non-mainframe) projects always seem to go on Unix,
AS/400,
|etc. I understand why this is - many organizations are hesitant
to go
|"Enterprise on NT".

|All of the statistics I have seen wrap the UNIX/NT market
segments