Re: Does anyone have serious databases on NT?

From: gus <gus_goose_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:10:20 +0100

Mark Wagoner wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:07:51 GMT, mkx_at_excite.com wrote:
>
> >After reading many, many articles, press releases, and marketing
> >propaganda about the fight for the dominant position on NT, I seem to
> >see something missing: Any direct evidence that anyone is using the
> >major databases on NT (other than Microsoft's SQL Server). Most
> >serious (non-mainframe) projects always seem to go on Unix, AS/400,
> >etc. I understand why this is - many organizations are hesitant to go
> >"Enterprise on NT".
> >
> >All of the statistics I have seen wrap the UNIX/NT market segments
> >together. Thus the "leader in license revenue" may have gotten there
> >on UNIX, without selling that much on NT.
> >
> >I simply am interested in seeing where the major work is being done on
> >NT specifically, and if it is done elsewhere than MS SQL.
> >

> While it may not be mainframe size, we have a customer running 8.0.5
> on a Dell 6300 running NT 4.0. It is actually two 6300s, one for the
> database and one for our apps.
>
> The machines are large by Intel standards, 4-450Mhz processors with 4G
> RAM and 200G RAID 5 for the database server. We are using a DLT tape
> changer to do unattended hot backups.
>
> The system has been in production for about 4 months and, after a few
> shakey starts concerning drivers, swap space and other miscellaneous
> configurations issues, it has been rather stable. There is still an
> intermittent ORA-3113 error that we can't get resolved. We even had
> an consultant from Oracle look at this problem.
>
> Which brings me to the biggest problem we have faced. Since nobody
> (or at least very few) people have tried this, we have found you are
> on your own when ever a problem arises. Even within Oracle there is
> no expertise on large NT installations. You either get somebody with
> NT experience but has never worked with 100+ users accessing
> multi-million row tables, or you get an enterprise-class engineer who
> has only worked on Unix.
>
> It has been a real learning experience.
>
> --
> Mark Wagoner
> To reply, remove no.spam from my e-mail address

This tells a real story, both about Oracle, and NT. If I can re-phrase what you say in the last paragraph ....

The Oracle Technicians either know big systems or NT, not both. Not even Oracle has clients with large NT installations. Apart from your's, there must be very few (no-one else).

So, in short, if you have a big system, go Unix, for small fry, go NT.

gus Received on Fri Jul 30 1999 - 09:10:20 CDT