Help with stored proc

From: <jane604_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:21:58 GMT

I'm new with Oracle and I have a question about a simple stored procedure I've written.
This procedure selects a field into a variable from the database. I want to return that variable so that it can be used in a korn shell script. Ideally, I'd like to use a RETURN statement. However, when I try to return this variable I get the message: PLS-00372:In a procedure, RETURN statement cannot contain an expression.

My question is, can a RETURN statement only be used in a function? I tried using OUT, but when I do that, I can't get a handle on the variable in a script.
Any suggestions?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 30 1999 - 09:21:58 CDT