Re: Newbies Questions

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:10:21 +0200

Hi Elvin,
One by one:
1) Yes
2) The database installation procedure automatically creates one. = Creating additional instances depends on using Personal Oracle 8 (which = you can run from your local pc only) or the full product. Note:PO8 is = not limited in any way with respect to SQL and PL/SQL. For the full product use oradim80. I have posted the procedure in recent = weeks several times. I will not repeat it here. You should be able to = find it in the deja archives at www.deja.com 3) Yes
4) for me the fastest way always has been use ODBC, connect that .dbf to = msaccess, connect msaccess to Oracle and presto. There used to be a tool for it, but AFAIK that's gone. 5) without a database you will be able to do nothing, as any login box = is needed to connect to the database.
6) You MUST connect to a database.
7) Oracle comes with ample documentation on how to do it. Usually the = Getting started manual will provide sufficient detail.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

  Elvin Tan <elvintan_at_post1.com> wrote in message = news:379F02FA.65676486_at_post1.com...
  Hello,
  I am new to Oracle and I have just install Developer 6.0 to test it = out and my oh my, I have lots of problem connecting to a database. I = have been a Clipper programmers for many years and this is my first try = at Oracle Developer.

  Many question comes to minds and I hope someone out there could be so = kind as to answer them for me.

  1. Do I need to have a copy of Personal Oracle 8 or Oracle 8 DBMS = installed?
  2. How do I create an Oracle Database?
  3. Do I need Personal Oracle 8 or Oracle 8 to create an Oracle = database? If not, how do I do it in Oracle Developer???
  4. How do I use Oracle to Open a .dbf to assess it and transfer the = database into a Oracle databse?
  5. What is the default password for the Schema Manager?
  6. Everytime when I create a form to test it out it always asked me to = connect to a database, so how do I test it without connecting to a = database? or what must I do first???
  7. Is there any books out there that teaches how to create and connect = to a database in Oracle? Most of the books out there teaches PL/SQL and = the programming stuff.

  Many thanks. You can reply to my email address at elvintan_at_post1.com

  Regards,

  Elvin Tan

  --
  Email address is spams protected, delete "remove_" to email.      Received on Wed Jul 28 1999 - 16:10:21 CDT