Re: listener problem with Oracle 8.0.5 under Linux

From: kev <kevin.porter_at_fast.no>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:05:00 +0100

Aurelien Girard wrote:

> I run Oracle 8.0.5 under a RedHat5.2 linux distribution on an internet
> server (Apache 1.3.6 with php3 support)
> Oracle (and apache) just works fine but I can't acces the database from
> my brwoser because of an Oracle login error. I believe this error comes
> from the listener because even if it's not started, I get the same
> error (error n°12545)
> The weirdest thing is that sometimes (but it's quite rare) just
> restarting both the listener and apache will make it work !
> I just don't understand where the problem comes from.
> Please, help me.

I've had this one. When my php3 Oracle code was wrong, running it would give an error, and then doing a 'ps -auxww | grep httpd' would show a defunct apache process. An apache process would go defunct for each time I tried to connect.
Now my php code is correct I do not get this error any more, even if the listener isn't running.
Double check your php oracle code, bearing in mind that the documentation isn't up to date and is wrong on occasion. In particular, according to the php manual, the OCIFetchInto() func takes a connection id as it's first argument, whereas in reality it takes a STATEMENT handle (which is returned from a previous OCIParse() call).

Hope this helps