Re: Diskless DOS clients for Oracle?

From: <manager43_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 07:44:37 GMT

Hi,

Very interesting.

Some time ago we create infrastructure with same requirements.

Most important question - language support and network protocol that used for boot diskless stations.

So if your have ONLY ONE language, namely ENGLISH, and our diskless stations support TCP/IP - browser as front-end client is most simple solution for you.

FYI - browser that based on QNX version UNIX is 1.44 MB size only.

But our real solution tested on 486DX-33 and SUN JavaPC due to computers (MIN) have 16 MB RAM and our customer must have support two languages, namely - english and russian.

Best regards,
 Vladimir

In article <7n6g7v$ju4$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   vcmathew_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are a rural hospital serving the poor
> villages in outlying India. Our organization,
> Christian Medical College of Vellore, has about
> 150 diskless DOS PC's which remote boot off of
> a Novell Netware 3.11 network and run a DOS FoxPro
> client to access a FoxBase server.
>
> We would like to upgrade this FoxBase server to
> an Oracle RDBMS, but we weren't sure how the
> client side would be affected: we can't afford to
> replace the nodes, so we need client software that
> can run on 386's with no hard drive. If worst
> comes to worst, then a minimum client
> configuration would be a 486 (again diskless).
>
> I was wondering if there is some way to develop
> DOS applications for a front end that would make
> SQL calls via ODBC to access the Oracle server.
> The client software would have to be obtained upon
> bootup, after remote booting off the NetWare
> server. We are all medical doctors, not computer
> people, so help in this area would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vivek Mathew
> vcmathew_at_cmcvellore.ac.in
> Christian Medical College and Hospital
> Vellore
> Tamil Nadu
> India

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 23 1999 - 02:44:37 CDT