JDBC Thin Client Problems

From: Troy Ramsey <tr2958_at_postoffice.swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:34:54 -0500

I have a question concerning the use of the Oracle Thin Client Driver. I am running Windows NT 4(SP3), trying to connect to an Oracle 8 database. I am using VisualAge for Java 2.0 Enterprise Edition.

Here is the code that I am trying to execute:

ClassforName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");

When this statement gets executed, it just hangs, does not throw an exception, it just hangs.

I have also noticed that in quite a few of the examples that came from the Oracle documentation, it shows the following line of code:

import oracle.jdbc.driver.*;

When I place this line of code in my imports section, it tells me that the "oracle.jdbc.driver" is undefined. I have included the classes111.zip in my CLASSPATH.

In my frustration, I went and got JDeveloper 2.0 and installed it, and ran the same java code in it, and it worked fine, even the import statement.

can someone please give me some clue as to what is the problem. Is it that VisualAge and Oracle just don't mix well? Is there a class that I am forgetting to include in the CLASSPATH?

Any help would be appreciated. I can include the entire source code if someone wants to see it. I have even gone so far as to take some of the examples that came with the Oracle JDBC drivers downloaded from the website and typed them in, and they will not work in VisualAge.

Thanks in advance.

Troy Ramsey
tr2958_at_swbell.net(Home)
tr2958_at_txmail.sbc.com(Office) - Prefer any direct responses to this address. Received on Tue Jul 13 1999 - 23:34:54 CDT