Re: Oracle/Linux now installed - what next?

From: Josue Batista <jbatista_at_abcsolutions.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 20:53:05 -0400

If you followed up the installation instructions from Oracle, you should have an user called 'oracle'. Also, you should have the proper settings in your 'lsnrctl' listener in place. Then,

  1. Log into Linux as 'oracle' user
  2. At the Linux prompt type in 'svrmgrl' then press enter; this will start the Oracle server manager
  3. Log into server manager using 'connect internal'; you should get the svrmng> prompt.
  4. Start the default database (if you choose to install it) by issuing the command 'startup'. You should see a series of messages showing the progress of the database startup process.
  5. Exit server manager by typing 'exit'
  6. Back at the linux prompt, start the listener by typing 'lsnctl start listener'
  7. At this point your database should beup and running. Run 'sqlplus', log as user 'scott' and password 'tiger' (only if you installed the sample database).
  8. Once into sqlplus, issue a sql statment like 'SELECT USER FROM DUAL' and you should get results.

Hope this helps; let me know if you get any messages along the way.

--
Josue Batista
ABC Tech Solutions