Re: sqlplus problem

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 09:17:01 -0400

It sounds like we need some clarification here. There are two possible scenarios when running sqlplus as a client app on a workstation that does not have a database itself but accesses a remote database via sqlnet.

  1. The server is using mts.
  2. The server is not using mts.

The first question becomes whether or not the SORT_AREA_SIZE set in initxxx.ora is the controlling factor for sorts in both cases or only if mts is not used. The second question is whether sorting is always done on server-side or whether sorting is done server-side without mts and client-side for mts: The third question is if sorting is done client-side then where is the sort area allocated and how can its size be controlled.

Ken