Yet another question regarding Randon

From: <ngayle_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 18:43:02 GMT

I'm currently working within an Oracle 8i environment, and have seen many posts regarding the dbms_random package to generate a random number.

I have had very little luck finding anything to show me how to use this package.

I am trying to create a table which will include somewhere around 15 columns. I want to add a column which contains a random number between 1 and 2000. The number of rows in this table will be somewhere around 15 million. For this reason there should be approximately 7500 1's, 7500 2's, 7500 3's, etc.

Can I have my select statement include this random function? for instance,
"Select Col1, Col2, ... Col15, Rand()"

And if so, how?

Thank you!

Lee C.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Sun Jul 04 1999 - 13:43:02 CDT