Autoconf configure script for Pro*C program

From: Andreas Huggel <ahuggel_at_my.lhsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 16:22:09 +0800

Hi,
After writing a first version of a (GNU autoconf) `configure.in' script for a Pro*C program, I'm wondering how I could do the following things better:

  1. Currently I include Oracle's `env_precomp.mk' file in the Makefile and use a lot of macros from this file in the Makefile target to link my program, i.e., this rule looks like: $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) $(OBJ) $(LIBS) $(SQLLIBS) $(STATICPROLDLIBS) $(PROLLS) ...many more... -o $@ This works fine except that I need to change it with about every other new Oracle installation and Unix system I come across because these variables seem to change rather frequently. Is there a more general approach to do this?
  2. The program should be able to output Oracle release information about the version of Oracle it was compiled for, e.g., `Oracle7 Release 7.3.4'. Currently, configure takes this information from the ORACLE_HOME environment variable, which I consider a hack. Is there a better way to get this information without connecting to the database?

Thanks,
Andreas Received on Wed Jun 30 1999 - 03:22:09 CDT