Re: substitute null values in SQL query?

From: Alan D. Mills <Alan.Mills_at_icl.NOSPAM.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:55:53 +0100

How about the Oracle builtin NVL. It sounds like what you're looking for.

SELECT NVL(MyColumn, 0)
FROM MyTable

will return the value of column MyColumn if it's not null and 0 if the value returned from the table is NULL. This is evaluated for each record.

Think of it as

IF MyColumn IS NULL THEN

   return 0
ELSE