OLTP and datawarehouse

From: <celia9268_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 16:09:52 GMT

Hi, all.

1.I can not understand some description in ORACLE documentation about OLTP:
"When you design OLPT system, you must avoid excessive use of indexes and clusters, because these structures slow down insert and update activity."
Could somebody point out why indexes and clusters may slow down insert and update? I am confused because indexes can improve performance.

2. Could you tell me what differences in setting an OLTP and data warehouse? The question seems too general, but I really would like to have some ideas.

Any answers will be appreciated.

celia

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Sun Jun 27 1999 - 11:09:52 CDT