Re: OLTP and datawarehouse

From: BM Lam <1116-530_at_online.de>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:51:09 +0200

celia9268_at_my-deja.com schrieb:

> Hi, all.
>
> 1.I can not understand some description in ORACLE documentation about
> OLTP:
> "When you design OLPT system, you must avoid excessive use of indexes
> and clusters, because these structures slow down insert and update
> activity."
> Could somebody point out why indexes and clusters may slow down insert
> and update? I am confused because indexes can improve performance.
suppose you have a bookshelf with tons of books. You can find a title quicker if you maintain a very accurate index. So an index speeds up the retrieval. But when you are adding hundreds of books the same day to your bookshelf, to keep your index up to date, you will have to add hundreds of indes cards. So in a heavy insert/delete situation, the index does not necessarily contribute to productivity.

> 2. Could you tell me what differences in setting an OLTP and data
> warehouse? The question seems too general, but I really would like to
> have some ideas.
>
> Any answers will be appreciated.
>
> celia

P.S: I am moving the e-mail account. Please use my new e-mail address as of now:

bmlam_at_online.de

May I also suggest that you update your address book accordingly if you are using one at all.