Re: Newbies - How can I reference to a table using a synonyms via dblink to a remote server ?

From: David Van Zandt <dvanzandt_at_iquest.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 23:09:14 -0500

Pardon the piggyback, but I've a variant of this problem. My link and synonyms appear okay, but I raise the following as I attempt to use a view in a remote database.

SQL desc glc_detail_data_extract;
ERROR:
ORA-12211: TNS:needs PREFERRED_CMANAGERS entry in TNSNAV.ORA

I'm not clear at this point if that's required on the database host or the
client. The sample given by Oracle, however, reads as follows. I do have ONS up for my subdomain's objects; what am I doing messing with TNS?

################
# Filename......: tnsnav.ora
# Client Profile: tcp.us.oracle.com

# Date..........: 15-JUN-94 17:02:21
################

LOCAL_COMMUNITIES =
  (COMMUNITY_LIST =
    (COMMUNITY = tcp.us.oracle.com)
  )
PREFERRED_CMANAGERS =
  (CMANAGER_LIST =
    (CMANAGER =
        (CMANAGER_NAME = INTCHG_1.us.oracle.com)
        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = tcp.us.oracle.com)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = SpxTcp.us.oracle.com)
(Port = 1521)
)

    )
    (CMANAGER =
        (CMANAGER_NAME = INTCHG_2.us.oracle.com)
        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = tcp.us.oracle.com)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = TcpDecnet.us.oracle.com)