Re: Newbies - How can I reference to a table using a synonyms via dblink to a remote server ?

From: <richjones_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:45:13 GMT

Just one thing to add. If you keep global_names = TRUE, check to see if the database you are connecting to is using the db_domain. You need to specify the entire database name as the name of the link in order for it to work.

Rich

In article <376DFB75.99496A57_at_italdata.it>,   Gennaro Napolitano <Gennaro.Napolitano_at_italdata.it> wrote:
> Andy Hardy wrote:
>
> > In article <7kfc65$ctl$1_at_birch.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, Kenny Lim
> > <kennylim_at_earthlink.net> writes
> > >Hi Guys,
> > >
> > >I am experimenting in how to query a table using a synonyms via
dblink
> > >referencing to a remote server.
> > >
> > >I received the following error messages :
> > >
> > >ORA-02085: database link name connects to name
> > >

> > Oracle documentation says:
> >
> > ORA-02085 database link name connects to name
> >
> > Cause:
> > The database link attempted to connect to a database with a
different
> > name. The name of the database link must be the same name as the
name of
> > the database.
> >
> > Action:
> > Create a database link with the same name as the database to which
it
> > connects.
>
> Or change the value of the parameter 'global_names' from 'TRUE' to
'FALSE'.

> GLOBAL_NAMES specifies whether a database link is required to have the
same name
> as the database to which it connects. If the value of GLOBAL_NAMES is
FALSE, then
> no check is performed. Oracle recommends setting this parameter to
TRUE to ensure
> the use of consistent naming conventions for databases and links.
>
> If you use distributed processing, set GLOBAL_NAMES to TRUE to ensure
a unique
> identifying name for your database in a networked environment.
>
> Hope this help.
> Ciao

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jun 30 1999 - 13:45:13 CDT