Re: Are most DBA jobs on UNIX or Mainframe, not NT?

From: Philip Chan <philipc_at_i-cable.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 09:52:58 +0800

I wouldn't be surprised if Linux runs better than Solaris for the same hardware, as
you should see how quick this OS evolve. Solaris server may look better in performance because of the hardware differences. In tradition the machines from
the big Unix vendors like HP and Sun all have much better memory bus speed comparing to Intel motherboards, and Linux performance spec on the Alpha platform
would be very interesting to me.

Philip Brown <phil+s3_at_bolthole.no-bots.com> wrote in message news:slrn7miind.pf.phil+s3_at_shell3.ba.best.com...
> On Tue, 08 Jun 1999 13:06:41 -0500, jkoenin_at_sprynet.com wrote:
> >Linux performs better than Solaris x86 (no flames, I ran them on the same
test
> >machine) on less hardware for those firing up an old 486 for testing.
Solaris