Re: datawarehouse

From: Jason Bryant <jason.bryant_at_fefc.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:11:55 +0100

We have spent the last 6 months evaluating the pro's and cons of Microsft SQL Server 7, Oracle 8, Informix, ... for our datawarehousing project.

When it boils down to it Oracle is probably the best product (taking into account experience CURRENT market share and scalability on Unix).

However if cost is an issue (as it was for us) then SQL 7 is a very strong contender. If you look at the http://www.tpc.org/ they have some excellent bechmarking data, including cost per unit performance (MS SQL7 is far cheaper per unit performance than Oracle).

Also with SQL7 you get a number of bundled data warehousing tools, such as data Extraction Transformation and Load (ETL) or DTS, OLAP Server (DSS) and a metadata repository. Unless you are a big or highly complex organisation (e.g. we are not and we have 450 employees, 11 offices and 400GB of data) these tools will probably do the job and you will not have to buy additional tools as you may have to with Oracle/Informix/... (e.g. a ETL tool could cost £50,000).

When it boils down to it, it will come down to what fits in with your current infrostructre, personal preferrence and how much money you have to spend.

But that is only my view...

Hope it helps.

Jason.