Re: Are most DBA jobs on UNIX or Mainframe, not NT?

From: <mkx_at_excite.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:39:44 GMT

On 17 Jun 1999 19:22:21 GMT, phil+s3_at_bolthole.no-bots.com (Philip Brown) wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Jun 1999 13:06:41 -0500, jkoenin_at_sprynet.com wrote:
>>Linux performs better than Solaris x86 (no flames, I ran them on the same test
>>machine) on less hardware for those firing up an old 486 for testing. Solaris
>>likely performs better under a heavier load, but I have no evidence to back up
>>that claim.
>
>Short summary of linux vs solaris:
>
>linux works on lower-end hardware. linux runs faster in "single-user"
>type installations.
>Solaris runs better in server and MP configurations.
>

>Which is why it's really stupid sybase doesn't have a solaris x86 release.

Nor does IBM, and getting the version from Oracle for evaluation purposes is like pulling teeth.

It seems wierd to me, but all of the major players in the database game are releasing Linux versions regularily, while practically ignoring Solaris on Intel. Why not supply both? Received on Thu Jun 17 1999 - 16:39:44 CDT