Re: RAID Suggestions

From: Just Visiting <guest_at_example.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 00:00:17 GMT

RAID-5 has some performance trade-off issues. The perfomance of RAID-5 degrades as the ratio of writes to reads increases. The reason why this is true is because when a data block that is written to a RAID-5
volume, the XOR data block for that "cylinder" also need to be be updated. This results is a corresponding additional write operation for the XOR data.

So when you have many read operation relative to the number of data write operations, there is minimal overhead from the RAID-5 volume. It would be a BAD idea to place the archive logfiles on a RAID-5 volume.

HTH & YMMV!