Re: BLOB's questions

From: Dante <dnotari_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 09:06:21 GMT

Alberto,
  if you can use LOBs then you should use them. LONGs restrict   you a lot and will be depreciated in the future.

  Regarding LOBs you should consider that you have as well BFILEs.   BFILEs are LOBs not stored within the context of the database, but   accesible through the DB.

  What this means is, that you store a link to file on the FS in   the DB. When you select from that BFILE column the DB reads the   file.

  Important is that BFILEs are not part of a transaction (which     improves performance, but gives problems if you need     rollback, etc). If your image changes you just overwrite the     file on the FS. But ... you have the administrative overhead     (backup, etc) on your side.

  To insert the file into a BLOB column you can use a package    which reads from the FS on stores it into the DB.

 For further info see the Applications Developer Guide for Large   Objects

Regards
Dante

In article <7j8kq8$575$1_at_talia.mad.ttd.net>,   "A. López" <xxxxx_at_xxxxx.es> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to store jpg files in Oracle 8 and I have some questions:
>
> What is the best data type to store it (blob or long raw)?
> Must I do some special operation to create this column or the table?
>
> Thanks in advance, Alberto Lopez

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jun 08 1999 - 04:06:21 CDT