Re: BLOB's questions

From: <dougr99_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:32:21 GMT

Dante,

    How much of a performance hit is it to have images stored in the database as a BLOB versus having them on the file system? Is it significant? We're in the design phase right now.

    Thanks in advance,

    Doug

In article <7jime9$g3s$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Dante <dnotari_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Alberto,
> if you can use LOBs then you should use them. LONGs restrict
> you a lot and will be depreciated in the future.
>
> Regarding LOBs you should consider that you have as well BFILEs.
> BFILEs are LOBs not stored within the context of the database, but
> accesible through the DB.
>
> What this means is, that you store a link to file on the FS in
> the DB. When you select from that BFILE column the DB reads the
> file.
>
> Important is that BFILEs are not part of a transaction (which
> improves performance, but gives problems if you need
> rollback, etc). If your image changes you just overwrite the
> file on the FS. But ... you have the administrative overhead
> (backup, etc) on your side.
>
> To insert the file into a BLOB column you can use a package
> which reads from the FS on stores it into the DB.
>
> For further info see the Applications Developer Guide for Large
> Objects
>
> Regards
> Dante
>
> In article <7j8kq8$575$1_at_talia.mad.ttd.net>,
> "A. López" <xxxxx_at_xxxxx.es> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to store jpg files in Oracle 8 and I have some
questions:

> > What is the best data type to store it (blob or long raw)?
> > Must I do some special operation to create this column or the table?
> >
> > Thanks in advance, Alberto Lopez

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jun 10 1999 - 12:32:21 CDT