Re: Designer 2000

From: Chana Campos <chana_at_campos.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:44:42 -0500

We have just completed an application with the majority of server and client side code generated to Oracle Forms 5.0. The biggest benefits of Designer deployed apps comes when the maintenance programmers have to deal with the "aftermath" of an application. The code that comes out of Designer is incredibly consistent and clean...which makes maintenance MUCH easier.

To make life easier on yourself, however, learn EVERYTHING you can about Preferences for whatever generator you are going to use and how to implement them, build a good object library (since many of the Preferences are being replaced by them anyway) and build a solid template. The template is becoming more and more of a "container" rather than a place to put code - but it still needs to be tested and solid. Freeze the preferences at the application level after enough Forms have been generated that you are reasonably satisfied with their appearance...let developers make changes at the module level if they *must* present something a different way. Keep your code in Designer - it makes no sense to keep it outside - it just makes maintenance harder - and when/if the app is regenerated you are likely to run into synch problems with code maintained outside of Designer.

Document ALL of your changes in the Repository if you make any post-generation changes to the Forms..and try to keep them to a minimum...also, BIG ONE, make sure your non-Designer developers know how to enter any custom code around the CASE-generated code to prevent it being written-over the next time the application/Form is generated..! (I've seen grown men cry over this one...<g>...especially when it wasn't documented in the first place!!!)

We ran Des 2.1.2 on Oracle 7.3.4 - we had to do major tuning during the generation phase - until we increased our rollback segs we were bouncing the database once a day...so, don't forget to tune the Repository...

Hope this helps!!!!

Chana Campos