Re: ISO VT320 emulator with key-bindings for Oracle Forms

From: Frank da Cruz <fdc_at_watsun.cc.columbia.edu>
Date: 2 Jun 1999 16:09:01 GMT

In article <7j1rqo$kul$1_at_knot.queensu.ca>, Frampton Steve R <3srf_at_qlink.queensu.ca> wrote:
: I'm in need of a VT320 emulator with key-bindings for Oracle
: SQL*Forms; it needs to either run under Linux/Unix or else be
: an old DOS-based application that I can try running under
: "dosemu" (a Windows-based app through Wine would not be
: suitable, however).
:
: I'm either looking for an Open Source solution (read: free), or
: else something from Digital that my place of employment can get
: through the Campus-Wide Software License.
:
: Someone suggested "kermit", but unfortunately I don't know the
: key-bindings for the various forms application keys (ie. Menu,
: Commit, Find, etc.).
:

MS-DOS Kermit includes a VT320 emulator. A regular VT320 key map is distributed with version 3.14:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/mskermit.html

If MS-DOS Kermit works for you under Linux, then you can map the keys however you want. As you probably know, a VT320 terminal does not have keys labeled Menu or Commit, so you'll need to find out what Oracle expects each key to send. This will be true for any emulator you look at.

: Years ago I used something which I believe was called "setterm"
: or "sethost" (the name escapes)... a DOS-based application from
: Digital which I believe would fit the bill quite nicely through
: dosemu -- but I can't find that software, and my organization
: has *long* since discarded all that old DOS-based software media.
:
: I've searched for a suitable solution several times in the past
: but I'm still unable to use Forms-based applications from within
: a *nix telnet session. ;-(
:
: *Surely* somebody out there is using a *nix-based system to
: communicate with a Vax-based Oracle application server who would
: be able to hand me a clue?
:

UNIX is not a great platform for terminal emulators, since applications do not have direct access to the screen buffer or to the keyboard.