Forms 5 and OLE

From: <plant.eng_at_lund.mail.telia.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 18:07:30 GMT

Hi there.
I am having trouble with getting the examples described in WIN:OLE AUTOMATION GUIDE-ORACLE FORMS TO MICROSOFT EXCEL to work in Forms 5.
The document is written for Forms 4.5, but I can not see why it would not work in Forms 5.

The example is very short:
DECLARE
 application OLE2.OBJ_TYPE;
BEGIN
 application:=OLE2.CREATE_OBJ('Excel.Application');  OLE2.SET_PROPERTY(application, 'Visible', 'True'); END; After this the Excel worksheet should be visible at the screen, but it is not.

The reason why I am asking is, that I have written an OLE-server in VB, that I can call from another VB application - perfectly working. I can call it from Forms 5, but I can not get it visible there.

I feel very, very lonelly when I speek about OLE in Oracle comunity and still - from the amount of white papers there must be an army of people fighting with it.

I would like to discuss following subjects: Looking at the horribly complicated structure of Excel classes, how can one know, what class should I call as OLE-server and what class should I import with OLE-importer for creating the right package. How can I asure, that my Forms application will work with different Excel versions?

Is there any good book on using OLE in Oracle Forms? The subject is definitely not usefully described in chapter 6.1 of Developer/2000 Guidelines for Building Applications.

There are a lot of guidelines to impress on stupid beginner looking for simplicity, but when it comes to examples, there are very poor examples assuming lot of undiscribed conditions and still not working.

Please, anyone that uses OLE in Forms, lets build a forum to exchange experiences (not only frustrations I hope).

Regards Tony. Received on Wed May 26 1999 - 13:07:30 CDT