Re: Configuring Veritas Quick I/O & Oracle 8

From: Meinolf Klement <Meinolf.Klement_at_t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 18:23:00 GMT

Hi,

while Veritas state that there is a 5% performance loss (compared to RAW devices) when using Quick I/O on OLTP systems, I assume that this number might even be higher for DSS.
What kind of RAW do you mean: are you directly going through to the physical disks or are you using the Veritas rdsks? Have you any red spots on disk performance? Are the results really based on I/O bottlenecks or did other (database?) bottlenecks appear?
How where the tables created for the second test? Did the execution plan changed? If yes, then why?

There is a number of things to check when comparing a database based on raw devices (thoses numbers are only rough estimates and should be adopted to your environment):

        database block size: 8 or 16k

	stripe width when using RAID 0+1 (don't mix it with RAID 1+0
	which will be supported by Veritas 3.X and higher)

	interleave (<g>, they really call it this way): 64k or 128k

	async I/O support (check the kernel!!!!)

	use of parallel query option

	multi_block_read_io_count (also influences the boarder line,
	when the optimizer chooses an full table scan over an indexed
	approach)

	size of the raw devices (I still think something around 2 GB
	should be the maximum.)

	and so on...

It's hard to judge from the distance what the cause of the problems is.

Regards
Meinolf