TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

From: Andy B. <andyb_at_mdacc.tmc.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 13:13:19 -0500

I'm still fairly new to Oracle and it's network components so bear with me here...

Config: RS/6000, AIX 4.2, Oracle 7.3.2

I inheirited the above system with one instance (MAIN) and three databases (DEV, TEST, PROD). I've created three new instances (DEVL, TEST, PROD). All are up and running and I can connect to them from my NT workstation. If the $ORACLE_SID is set, I can connect to the instance. What I can't do is connect to the new instances without explicitly resetting the $ORACLE_SID. I can't TNSPING them either. The original instance works every time though.

I've gone over the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora many times over and can't figure out the problem. I've searched the file system for duplicates and eliminated them when I found them, but still the problem persists.

I manage NT systems in addition to this and have never had this problem on them. I know I must be missing something fairly simple here...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Andy Received on Tue May 18 1999 - 13:13:19 CDT