Re: public synonym

From: Rich Goldkamp <RJGoldka_at_dcss.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 16:10:15 GMT

Are you sure that the name of the object which the V_CONTACT synonym points to is also V_CONTACT??? There is no requirement that a public synonym name match the name of the object to which it points, though this is frequently the case. You can check this with the following:

SELECT	table_owner, table_name
FROM	dba_synonyms
WHERE	owner = 'PUBLIC' AND
	synonym_name = 'V_CONTACT';

Cheers,
Rich

In article <7hr77v$s0j$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Dante <dnotari_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote:
> First make sure that the view really exist.
> Connect as the owner of the view and
> describe your view.
>
> Then you can grant selective privileges
> on the view to
> a) a specific user or
> b) to public
>
> eg.
> GRANT SELECT ON V_CONTACT TO <username>;
> or GRANT SELECT ON V_CONTACT TO PUBLIC;
>
> make sure that you are connected as the owner
> of the v_contact view.
>
> You can connect as SYSTEM or SYS and
> grant qualified:
> GRANT SELECT ON <view owner>.V_CONTACT TO .... ;
>
> Hope it helps
> Regards
> Dante
>
> In article <7hq25g$312$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> ypsu_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > Thanks, Dante, I am sorry my original question was a little confusing.
> > here is my SQL:
> >
> > SQL> run
> > 1 select *
> > 2 from all_objects
> > 3 where
> > 4 object_name = 'V_CONTACT'
> > 5 or
> > 6 object_name = 'V_PERSON'
> > 7* order by object_name
> >
> > OWNER OBJECT_NAME OBJECT_TYPE CREATED LAST_DDL_ STATUS
> > -------- ------------ ------------ --------- --------- -------
> > PUBLIC V_CONTACT SYNONYM 29-JUL-98 29-JUL-98 VALID
> >
> > PUBLIC V_PERSON SYNONYM 29-JUL-98 29-JUL-98 VALID
> > XOXOXOX V_PERSON VIEW 29-JUL-98 28-NOV-98 VALID
> >
> > Since the object that the synonym points to (v_contact, a view) is not
> > accessible by me, when I desc, I got the following message:
> >
> > SQL> desc v_contact;
> > Object does not exist.
> >
> > So, my problem is, I need the DBA to grant the privilege to access the
> > VIEW object (v_contact). Right?
> >
> > Thanks again, Dante!
> > Y.Su
> >
> > In article <7hpomb$s2f$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > Dante <dnotari_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote:
> > > I have to confess that I am not absolute sure
> > > what you mean by "view" a synonym.
> > >
> > > A synonym is a pointer to a database object.
> > >
> > > You don't grant privileges on a synonym, you
> > > do it on an object.
> > >
> > > In your case the synonym v_person is pointing to
> > > a table/view v_person.
> > >
> > > If you describe or select from v_person the
> > > server tries to resolve v_person in the
> > > connected users namespace, if it can't find
> > > an object with that name it looks for a synonym
> > > in the PUBLIC namespace. To access that object
> > > it must a) exist and b) the connected user
> > > must have the privilges for the operation.
> > >
> > > As you can create a synonym to an non existing
> > > object it is possible that a view/table v_contact
> > > does not exist.
> > >
> > > Select from ALL_OBJECTS and see how many V_CONTACTs
> > > exist. With the OBJECT_TYPE you will see what sort
> > > of object it is, with OWNER you will see in whose
> > > namespace the object was created.
> > >
> > > Hope it helps
> > > Regards
> [...]

Rich Goldkamp, Consultant, OCP		RJGoldka_at_dcss.com
Digital Consulting & Software Services	(504) 523-5005 x2736

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Tue May 18 1999 - 11:10:15 CDT