Re: Index Question

From: Dante <dnotari_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:07:33 GMT

Van,
  if the index is reasonable depends on your application.   An index on a column makes only sense if you query     the rows by that column.

  About the size: Does the application just insert rows     or is there a reasonable rate of deletes ?

    If yes, you might want to consider using a REVERSE index      (but I think this was introduced in 8.0).

    For 7.3 I would recommend to rebuild the index.

Regards
Dante

In article <iQKZ2.202$M3.13643_at_news7.ispnews.com>,   "Van Messner" <vmessner_at_netaxis.com> wrote:
> Under version 7.3:
>
> I have a 1 Gig table with 9 million rows. One column is a number
(12).
> This
> column is not unique and there are about 500 rows for each different
number.
> The column has a non-unique index which takes about 300M. The table
is
> updated frequently.
> Is this index giving enough benefit to justify the additional 300
Meg?

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Tue May 11 1999 - 04:07:33 CDT