Oracle Trigger causing change error in Access. help.

From: Brad Pybus <brad_pybus_nospam_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 22:26:06 GMT

I have an Oracle database using an Oracle ODBC driver to connect to an MS Access front end.

I wrote a "BEFORE" trigger "FOR EACH ROW" that will do the following:

:NEW.RecordChangedDate := SYSDATE;

The problem is, when I open the table in Access, and edit a field (not "RecordChangedDate") then move to another record and edit that same field, I almost always get the following error:

        The data has been changed.

        Another user edited this record and saved changes before you attempted to save your changes.

        re-edit the record.

I then try to edit that field again and it works just fine. I know its being caused by the trigger because when I delete the trigger, the problem goes away.

How do I always get the Oracle database to update the timestamp for a record when somebody edits the record without causing this error?

--
To reply to me, remove the "_nospam" from my address. Received on Wed May 05 1999 - 17:26:06 CDT