syntax of connecting to a remote DB in sqlplus?

From: Grace Tsai <gtsai_at_bnl.gov>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 17:05:05 -0400

I have the sqlplus in my Oracle client machine, I like to let users have the freedom to connect to any remote database as long as they have the valid user account. So I dont want to configure the remote databases in the tnsnames.ora or any other .ora files.

So my question here is : What is the syntax of sqlplus to access a remote database if I have the valid username/password, remote machine name, and the instance name? Should be something like sqlplus scott/tiger@<instance>. But where should I specify the machine name.

Thanks very much in advance.

Grace Tsai
Brookhaven National Lab Received on Tue May 04 1999 - 16:05:05 CDT