Re: Schema Concepts 101 [newbie]

From: <markp7832_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:01:07 GMT

In article <7gccre$6t$1_at_uuneo.neosoft.com>,   "David Thom" <davidt_at_npsinc.com> wrote:
> How are schemas intended to be used in Oracle8?

Normally most DBA's work with Oracle usernames and set up application owners, say A, whose id's and passwords are known to DBA and maybe Development. There is a create schema command, but I do not think it is used much.

> Apparently, a schema is equivalent (tied to?) to an individual user, so
> does one user have access to the schema objects in another user's schema?

The owner of an object (table, procedure etc...) can grant access to his objects to other users including the right to grant access to others

Normally public or private synonyms are created to help access the objects without having to refer to the owner: create public synonym employee for scott.emp would allow all users with select priviledge on the table to refer to it as employee.

> Can schemas be setup which are accessible by groups of users?

Yes, see roles. User A grants access on his objects to role CLERK. This role is then granted by DBA or a security admin type id to users who perform this function

> Is there a "global" schema to contain schema objects which can be used by
> all users? I see references to a PUBLIC schema, but it's not an option when
> I use the Table Wizard to create a new table, for example.

Not directly but yes, the object owner would issue a grant like: grant select on table_name to public; and everyone who can create a session can select rows from the table. A public synonym would also more than likely be created for this table so for all practical purposes it is in schema public, but it is really owned by user A.

> [and is all this described anywhere in the Oracle8 Documentation? If so, I
> sure can't find it!]

See the Oracle 8 Concepts manual and/or the Applications Developers Guide as both have chapters on user and object management. Alternately you could look up create user, create role, create synonym, and grant in the SQL manual, but the Concepts manual is the place to start.

I hope this helps.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  y
ou follow so follow your own advice --