String literal too long?

From: James Sims <sims5311_at_students.sou.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:30:01 -0700

I'm trying to insert the contents of large (~2K) text files into fields of datatype LONG, using INSERT INTO <table_name> VALUES (data) spooled from a text file like this:

SQL> @f:\dir\subdir\filename.txt

I get an error "ORA-01704 String literal too long" for anything over 2,000 bytes, or about 1,600 words. What gives? I thought the LONG datatype supported HUGE text strings?

Thanks in advance. Received on Mon Apr 26 1999 - 17:30:01 CDT