Re: re-ordering rows

From: Arjan van Bentem <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DAREdds.nl>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 10:21:13 +0200

John Higgins wrote
> So why would anyone want to physically order the rows within a
> table? To improve the performance of a non-unique (multi-row)
> query. Like, "SELECT * FROM A WHERE X = "ABC";"

Hmmm, I always thougt that "Oracle does not return the rows in a particular order" also meant "Oracle does not STORE the rows in a particular order". And even when it does, I always thought that DBA activities might change the physical order again, so a developer should never rely on it. But since the thing you describe seems to be common practice I believe you're right. Thanks!

I still doubt that Gennady meant to achieve the thing you describe, so again Gennady, like John pointed out as well: please understand that Oracle only guarantees any ordering if you include a order by in your select.

Arjan. Received on Sun Apr 25 1999 - 03:21:13 CDT