Re: Clone a table to a new table on different db/server wth only two columns

From: Patrick Suppes <psuppes_at_lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:16:14 -0600

David,

If both Databases are Oracle, and the databases share a common network, look into the concept of linking the databases. Using database links, you can directly move the data from one database instance to the other.

    INSERT INTO schema.localtable

                (field1, field2)
                ( SELECT fielda, fieldb FROM schema.remotetable @dblinkname);

If you get REALLY carried away, you may not even need to clone the data... Just have one instance refer to the data on the other database instance. This is particularly useful if the data is volatile and the data is not frequently used on the remote server.

Patrick Suppes