Re: Oracle Developer

From: <mark_fredericks_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 16:14:53 GMT

Your application environment will influence your choices.

If your users are on WINDOWS PCs you could user Visual Basic, Power Builder or even Oracle's Power objects. I even know of Microsoft Access being used as a front end to Oracle. Expect to use ODBC for most of these.

If the users have current web browsers, there are a number of ways to make web pages as front ends to the application that do not require either Oracle's Developer or Designer tools. Expect a lot more, lower level coding without the tools. Possible - but not easy for complex applications.

If you are a Java programmer, Oracle also has JDeveloper, a new java based application design tool which costs less than Developer (I Think), but is still an expensive tool.

With the admittedly expensive Developer, you get a feature rich, native mode interface, which exploits almost all of the functionality of the Oracle server, and allows for cross platform development.

HTH Mark