Re: insert query problem

From: Michael Krolewski <vandra_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 23:36:10 -0800

I could be totally confused but Oracle does not control the order of the insert. If a select clause is used the order is not used. The select clause does not use the ORDER BY part.

Generally, the unique key is just that, a unique key.

If you want the records order in some sort of time sequence, I would suggest adding that. Note, Oracle only time down to the second. Often more than one record can be inserted in one second.

The other plan is to make the selection return only one record. Again the issue will be the fact that the records selected from any table is generally random. You could use a cursor which contains a order by clause.

Mike Krolewski