Re: User Sequence Skipping Numbers???

From: Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 09:14:17 +0000

I am (really) interested as to why you are concerned with gaps. I can understand reasons in a paper based system because a missing number might mean a missing document. However, I'm not so sure why it's so important in computer stored information.

If you don't won't gaps then you have to use an oracle table which contains a single row/column. Each transaction increments the value and any uncommitted transactions revert the number. However, it might introduce locking problems because the next transaction must wait until the previous work has been committed or rolled back. One reason why Oracle introduced sequence numbers.