HELP processing large MVS Oracle Database

From: <rbonebra_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:09:53 GMT

Our installation is preparing to convert a very large data file to Oracle. There are concerns that processing the resulting tables may be extremely unweildy, particularly during some overnight full-file processing runs.

We would appreciate comments from anyone with experience processing large databases on a Mainframe (MVS) Oracle instance, in both transaction processing mode and full batch processing mode.

I am providing a webpage address at the bottom of this posting to a page containing further details. In that document is a link to email the point-of- contact responsible for deciding how to best convert the file. I will also monitor any responses posted directly here.

Essentially, we need to determine how to best allocate records for current and history purposes. Also, we need to determine if separate, parallel proccessing can be used to speed up the overnight activity.

Thanks in advance to any and all who will take the time to consider our dilemma and respond.

Ray Bonebrake
ILSC -- Chambersburg, PA

Link Question for comp.databases.oracle.misc (sorry it's not a direct link):

                http://www.ilsc.army.mil/docs/SIFSQuest.doc