Re: Oracle on Linux

From: Remco Blaakmeer <remco_at_rd1936.quicknet.nl>
Date: 24 Mar 1999 00:57:56 GMT

In article <TaGI2.51463$YV6.32018_at_news2.giganews.com>,

        "Jack" <ocpdba_at_texas.ne> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a newbie to Linux.
>
> The Oracle for Linux installation guide says to just run /orainst/orainst to
> install. Ha! I tried that, and got "command not found". So, I tried sh
> orainst.sh and got a long list of ":command not found" and ":bad variable
> name".
>
> Can anyone of you Linux experts help me out?

After you have untarred the huge .tgz file, you should run orainst/orainst, without the leading slash. The reason for this should be obvious.

But _before_ installing Oracle8, you should read the documentation. Go to the unixdoc/server.805 directory, where you will find three documents. They are there in both html and pdf formats. You should definitely read the Oracle8 Installation Guide before installation.

In general, I would not recommend installing Oracle8 to a Linux newbie. You have got to have some knowledge of it before you can install a complex product like Oracle8 on it. Likewise, you'll also have to know something about Oracle8 before you install it.

Remco
--
rd1936: 1:45am up 10 days, 8:09, 8 users, load average: 1.10, 1.15, 1.12 Received on Tue Mar 23 1999 - 18:57:56 CST